The road bridge – normally used by 22,000 vehicles a day – has been shut for six months to allow Network Rail to carry out the electrification of Stirling’s railway.
Initial estimates from Network Rail suggested the bridge would have to close for a full year but Stirling Council successfully negotiated that time frame down to six months in a bid to minimise disruption.
Network Rail contractors Morgan Sindall had been working towards an October 23 re-opening – and the early finish is a welcome boost for businesses, residents and commuters.
Environment and Housing committee Convenor Cllr Jim Thomson said: “It is absolutely tremendous news that Kerse Road is to re-open to traffic - not just on time - but ahead of schedule.
“It’s great that from this weekend, Stirling is fully open for business as traders, residents and visitors gear up for the Christmas rush.
“We knew the closure would cause disruption, no matter the time scale, but this was a necessary evil we planned for. The bridge was crumbling and needed replaced and the electrification of the track will mean quicker journey times in and out of Stirling for rail passengers, making the city more accessible.
“While we appreciate that this essential work has been inconvenient, I am pleased with the way Stirling Council has worked closely with Network Rail to minimise the disruption.
“We negotiated with Network Rail to have the period of the full road closure reduced from 12 months to six.
“We fully recognise that this will have been especially tough for businesses operating in the immediate vicinity and thank all traders for their patience.
“But the Armageddon predicted in some quarters has not materialised, thanks to careful road traffic management, and the city has even successfully hosted major events like the Runrig concerts during the closure.”
The £8million project – with £1million funding from Stirling Council – has been completed on budget and on time.
It will be open to all two-way to traffic without restrictions from October 19.
The temporary pedestrian footbridge will remain in place until the New Year.
Kerse Road bridge will be closed to traffic for two successive weekends in January to allow utility works to be carried out.
The re-opening news was welcomed by local businesses as Stirling prepares for its Christmas lights switch-on on November 18.
BID director Go Forth Stirling Jon Walton said: "Go Forth Stirling are delighted to hear that the bridge is reopening early.
“This closure has certainly had an effect on footfall throughout the city centre and some traders have reported significant impacts.
“However, these works are essential to improving the connectivity of Stirling by rail, and it is worth noting the efforts made to communicate both the alternative routes into the city and also that the city was very much still ‘open for business’.
“Stirling is fantastically well-connected and these rail works will improve that still further"
A Stirling Arcade Director Kevin Moore said: “After months of works everyone at Stirling Arcade is delighted to see the major Kerse Bridge project drawing to completion… and on time.
“This will be a major boost to Stirling as we head into the busy Christmas period and we can all look forward to a buoyant and healthy trading period.
“Great credit for achieving this is due both to Network Rail and to Stirling Council, whose officers have worked closely with us and other local traders to minimise disruption and to keep the re-opening schedule on track.
“We at the Arcade would like to say a massive well done to everyone involved in this monumental engineering project which will deliver a better than ever rail service to and from our city.”
Thistle Centre Director Gary Turnbull said: “We are pleased to hear of the re-opening of the Kerse Road Bridge, particularly as Thistles prepares to enter the busy festive trading period.
“As with any major infrastructure upgrades, a level of disruption has been inevitable, however the road traffic management systems implemented have proved effective in keeping this disruption to a minimum, and the reduction of the closure from 12 months to 6 months is to be commended.”